Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Start from the bottom

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1qK94HJoCW0yicYM-XDiimaRQNsZ60PYa

So I posted this a while ago and I want to further break it down.

Over the years I have always found that after hearing a song, beat, mix or whatever so many times you begin to become used to it and miss certain things in a Mix. I learned this the hard way hen I used to do the sound engineering at a church I worked for. Every Sunday was a concert basically. During practices, after they learned the songs they would do a full run through.

THIS is where I learned that it was best to start the mix from scratch. Now if you have everything bussed this will be easier, but if you don't, it’s possible either way. 

First things first, drop all the faders to the bottom. Then pick what you want to build around. For the sake of the genre I usually work with, I’m a say the kick. You start by bringing the kick to where it ends up peaking at -12db. This will become a frame of reference, YOU DO NOT want anything to go above it. 

From here I like to build the rest of the drums around it. Mostly because it helps me get into the swing of things, but also because I am most comfortable with drum (I can play them). The snare will be just underneath or matching the kick. Hi hats a couple of decibels under.

I then introduce the melodies. I start of with the main instrument I want to stand out and then add the others until the are distinct but not over powering the rest. Basically repeating what I just did with the drums.

After I have gotten everything blended to how I want it, I start planning and widening tracks and making everything fall into place. 

I have added a link to hear the final product of one of my mixes...


I plan on possibly making video. Have to work my way up to that though. 

Stay blessed! 
Mic-Key

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLACE YOUR RESPONSE HERE!